Cane Builder Monthly Publication

Every day I'm coming up with new cane patterns and canework innovations. Take an exclusive look at all the innovations coming out of Polymer Clay Workshop before they can be found anywhere else! $5 per month through Paypal. Cancel any time.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Campfire Drawing Project

This week I've driven hundreds of miles here in the northwest. Scenes like this greet me and take my breath away.  Since so many families go camping in the summer, I decided that this would be a good time to share this project.
Skills:
-Seeing and drawing the effect of light
-Creating foreground, middle ground, and back ground
-Creating 3D perspective (tent)

Materials:
-Dark blue card stock
-Nice colored pencils
-Example project and optional reference photos (feel free to print my example)

Procedure:
-discuss the light sources (fire light, moonlight, stars)
-brainstorm ideas for details that will be unique to each child's drawing
-explain that the trees in in front are much larger that the trees farther back
-show step by step how to draw the tent, lake and mountains
 (These "scribble trees" are a hard concept for students sometimes.  I have students come up to the board to share how they like to make evergreens)

No comments:

Post a Comment