Cane Builder Monthly Publication

Every day I'm coming up with new cane patterns and canework innovations. Take an exclusive look at all the innovations coming out of Polymer Clay Workshop before they can be found anywhere else! $5 per month through Paypal. Cancel any time.

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Impasto!


This project is hot of the press. We tried it for the first time today in class. This tree was done by Alicia. Hers was better than mine so I thought I'd share it with you. Impasto (layering thick paint to create texture) is my new favorite! This lesson teaches students about color mixing and light, as well as the technique of impasto. I used Liquitex heavy body acrylic paint mixed with Liquitex matte gel to make it thick and extend the paint. This is a little pricey, I'm sure you can experiment with cheaper options. The students didn't use brushes; only plastic palette knives. We painted on light blue mat board, but I think I would use art board or gessoed masonite next time. All this stuff is much cheaper online than in craft stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment