Cane Builder Monthly Publication

Every day I'm coming up with new cane patterns and canework innovations. Take an exclusive look at all the innovations coming out of Polymer Clay Workshop before they can be found anywhere else! $5 per month through Paypal. Cancel any time.

Monday, February 8, 2010

How to Make Fimo or Sculpey Leaves





The green that comes out of the package is a pure, bright green. I remember when my teacher called it an ugly green. I couldn't understand what she was talking about. After awhile I realized that she meant it wasn't a natural green. Learning to get the colors right makes all the difference when you're trying to make your projects look realistic.

Now that I'm primarily a painter, I credit my years of mixing clay with teaching me how to get the colors right. To keep the colors from being too bright, I add a little the opposite or complimentary color on the color wheel. Besides neutralizing the colors, it's fun to keep them swirled and not blend them together all the way. In this project the twigs, the eggs, and the leaves have slightly swirled colors. The mottled effect is especially fun with fall colors!

The important thing about clay leaves is the pattern of the veins. I give all the students a piece of card stock or used gift card etc. Lines are always pressed into the clay. It doesn't work to draw the lines on because it scrapes the clay.

The last step is to twist and curve the leaves a little so that it's not completely flat.

Check out my polymer clay project tutorials on etsy!

No comments:

Post a Comment