Cane Builder Monthly Publication

Every day I'm coming up with new cane patterns and canework innovations. Take an exclusive look at all the innovations coming out of Polymer Clay Workshop before they can be found anywhere else! $5 per month through Paypal. Cancel any time.

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

How to Make Foil Frames




I've been having so much fun on vacation. It's time to get inspired for a new year! Today I went on amazon and ordered some more art teaching books. I also reserved some through the library. I have so much to learn as I pursue excellence as an art teacher. Awhile back I said I would tell you about the foil frames we used for the Mexican Christmas project. When I was a kid, we spent a lot of time in Mexico. I loved the tin Christmas ornament we bought. Search for Mexican tin art to find some beautiful examples. I ordered a roll of 38 gauge decorator foil from Dick Blick art supplies. I also ordered a bunch of special tools, but came to learn that dull drawing pencils work better! I cut the foil with the exacto knife which I carry in my purse at all times. I found that if the foil is scored, it tears pretty easily. It might be good to tape the edges so the student's can't cut themselves. I know there are a lot of choices, including heavy duty foil that you can just buy at the grocery store. I'm certainly open to suggestions. This one I had to figure out on my own. I also used this foil for a lesson on Ghiberti and the gates of Paradise. In that case the foil was the whole picture, not just the frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment